Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Getting Back in the Groove

My family was on vacation these last few days - lots of driving to and fro, which means lots of sitting for hours on end. We ate "out" every single meal. For about 48 hours we were staying at a theme park resort, so lots of yummy things to eat added on top of the lots of sitting for hours bookending the trip. Needless to say, all training went out the window - there wasn't time to squeeze anything into the already packed four days we had allotted for the trip.

Today, back in my cozy home, I started to catch up on things - emails, Facebook groups and friends, reading the news reports, and tagging and captioning uploaded photos. Happily busy, I suddenly realized that I would have to stop immediately and get ready for my Groove class. That's when the little voice inside my head said, "...or...you could skip it...just this once".

It was tempting. All of the things I could do instead of Grooving flashed in my mind and they looked good!

Fortunately, that other part of my brain - my positive motivation coach - jumped up and started waving her hands. "Hey, it's been nearly a week since you exercised - get back to work!" Then my imaginary coach flashed a visual - me doing the Frost Bite 10K and struggling because I wasn't training my body anymore. I didn't like that vision; not one bit!

So I pushed myself away from the computer, changed my clothes and drove to Groove. I threw myself into my workout and enjoyed the feeling of breathing and stretching, moving and grooving, and getting my body back to work.

Taking a short break from your fitness routines is fine, but don't talk yourself out of getting back in your groove!


No comments:

Post a Comment