Thursday, February 16, 2012

Y(MCA) Go to the Gym


When we finished our basement in our previous house we were able to create a space for a small home gym. We had a treadmill, weight bench with a set of handheld weights, TV plus assortment of yoga, pilates, kickboxing, and other strength-aerobic DVDs, exercise balls, mats, and pilates and yoga props. Except for the treadmill (which we had already owned for many years) these things were quite affordable, especially when purchased over time.

Having this space was essential for Phil's fitness needs - with all the work travel and 12 hours work days getting to a gym to work out was not going to happen. However, he could squeeze it in when all he had to do was throw on some shorts and go down to the basement for a workout any time he had a block of time. He eventually started doing first-thing-in-the-morning workouts: walking on the treadmill while watching a DVD of a favorite TV show, then some free weights. Even this was better than being mostly sedentary in front of a computer all day.

In the winter of 2008-09 I got serious about my weight and fitness issues and designed a fitness program/lifestyle overhaul that led to a 35 pound weight loss in about 6 months. I tracked my food calories and nutrient as well as the estimated calorie burn from my exercises. Tracking everything was a bit tedious but it made me extremely mindful about just how much I was actually eating in a portion of food and how nutritious (or not) that food was. Having the home gym was the other half of the foundation I built for my healthy lifestyle. I sweated my way through those DVDs, changing them up so that: 1) I wouldn't get bored, and 2) I would work different parts of body in different ways for optimal strength and cardio improvement.

Now, in our new home, we don't have the space to set up another home gym. I didn't want to revert to a more sedentary lifestyle so we joined the local Y, getting a family membership.

Best decision ever!

Not only do we have access to all of the different equipment, but a trainer, for no additional cost, spent an hour with me showing me the weight machines and calibrating them so that I can use them safely and effectively. Oh, and then there are the group classes, such as NIA, Zumba, and yoga, which I love.

Another cool thing is that, since I'm training for the triathlon, I need to swim - and there is no pool at this new house of ours. The YMCA I go to has a nice indoor pool, however, so I can add my swim trainings to things I can do thanks to my Y membership.

There are good ways to create spaces for yourself to get and stay fit  - either in your home or outside. You may need to get a little creative if your home is small, but remember: This is the only body you have and this is the only life you'll live. If you honor your body and take care of yourself now, you are much more likely to enjoy good health during your later years.



No comments:

Post a Comment