Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Kindness of Strangers

The first part of my upcoming triathlon is swimming. For 1/3 of a mile. I know I've got a lot of training to do to get myself up to this point, yet I've been dragging my feet.

Why?

Because I don't want to look lame.

I don't want to walk into the pool area and have all the "real" swimmers look at me as if I'm some sort of poser. I don't want to share a lane with another swimmer and then, while they are swimming like fish, I swim like a cat!


Actually, this cat seems to be more graceful than I.

(sigh)

So I've dragged my feet about going to the pool.

Last week I decided enough was enough, put on my big girl swim pants, and begged my daughter to go with me. I figured if she was there I wouldn't be so vulnerable.

I'm happy to say it helped having her there. She cheered me on and encouraged me just the right amount. I also discovered that I needed more than just a swimsuit. I got water in my ears - which bugged me for the rest of the day. A quick trip to the nearby REI got me very cool silicone earplugs, a swim cap (purple, of course), and swim goggles, which, despite living with a pool in my backyard for 6 years, I've never used or owned.

Today, my second time swim training, I didn't have Kimi to lean on - she's all the way in Austin, TX. I went to yoga first, to limber up first. That was actually a fantastic move - we focused on shoulders and upper back asanas - perfect for swim prep!

In the changing room I took a ridiculous amount of time figuring out how to open my goggle case. Eventually, with ear plugs, swim cap, and goggles firmly in place, I was ready to get wet.

All of the lane were occupied. Gulp. That meant I had to...share!

Crap, crap, crap. Is it too late to retreat to the hot tub?

I mustered my courage and asked one of the swimmers if I could share his lane. He graciously said yes. After my first 50 yards we started chatting. His name is Joe, and he only just learned to swim 6 years ago. He's on the cusp of 70 (he didn't look it). He now competes in various swim sprint events. He congratulated me for trying something that challenged me, and then gave me some great training pointers. He was so kind and generous with his encouragement that I stopped feeling self-conscious about my "newbie" status.

In the end, not only did my worst fears not happen but I actually made a new friend.

So, on this Leap Day, I challenge you to take your own leap and try something that you want to do but have been talking yourself out of for fear of something going wrong. More likely than not, something really good will greet you when you land!


1 comment:

  1. Christine, I had to chuckle, since, in my experience, having been married to a 3x Ironman, MOST triathletes drag their feet when they swim! You can always tell who did swim team when they were kids because they actually kick ON the water, not three feet below like the folks who do triathlons because they blew out a knee running.

    ReplyDelete